quinta-feira, 17 de setembro de 2026

That Gull eye sees

 It stuck to the ground as if it was glued there as if whatever material under it had melted its wings there to plastic bags and flattened food wrappers.

One tiny green yellow eye with a defined pupil looked back at me. It was like the bird had lost it’s body and yet it’s head was clean and free from death rot.
As if there was another rot inside it’s neck eating anything that came up or into the skull.
The head completely preserved in a sinister display of focused power through the one eye.
What made it unsettling was when people were absent one could observe the living seagulls dive down and surround the dead one. Circling it and bowing heads like eyes wide shut.
Crowing and wailing. Not in homage or commiseration but in deep focused worship.
As humans approached the colony would launch off and scatter.
Looking back down mockingly at the human encroacher. For the landfill was theirs.
But they didn’t launch off when i approached and continued their ritual for which I am sharing with you today.
I didn’t know whether to be offended or flattered.
The gulls stood at a strange angle as if picking up a lost transmission from their corpsed brother.
Their own eyes shone with a brightness not of this world.
There was no bickering or squabbling as the gulls slowly moved in a semi circle once to the left and once to the right.
One more bow, the gull closest to me looked back at me in one rapid motion.
Gave me a half nod and the colony took flight in an organized flight over the yonder shining pines.
Another twenty meters back stood a vulture couple. Regal and dark.
Slightly adjusting themselves under the sun.
They stood like guards of the seagull corpse.
I came within some meters of the dead seagull and greeted it as if it was living.
I bowed my head as the seagulls had done.
It’s one eye following my motions. And so I began my own solemn ritual. As if I was one of them.
Not out of ridicule, but with deep desire to tickle out whatever supernatural business was going on here.

I could feel my heart churn as the pupil followed me
I could feel my energy change into something more chaotic yet with some substantial underbelly to it. As if there was a fat spiritual energy slowly filling my gut.
The landfill became dead quiet. A greyish tinge started to affect my vision.
The vultures kicked legs and winged off in different directions.
I blinked and looked around, my sight clearer. My perception sharper.
I bowed once again.
Turned and walked back to my beat up car.
Looking at the way the sky had arranged itself. As if it had participated in the whole ceremony.
My eyes had never been clearer, my sight had never been so incredible.
Funnily enough the hunger of ambition that hampered me much in years passed now felt like it made sense.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário