quarta-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2013

The life changer

The life-changer(Simon Bernard ELLioTT´s latest story)

The day of the accident was blistering hot,
none of the houses had any overhangs, so there was no escape from the sun.
There was literally no place to hide from the heat.
That morning there was an announcement asking the local folks to go
up to the Biotechnology laboratory on the hill to help, because there´d been an accident. A code red had occured which caused the whole town to blackout!

Making my way through the streets toward the great laboratory on the hill, sweat appearing in beads and suddenly drawing lines down my face.
People were running in the opposite direction, some of them screaming with burn marks on their faces and necks from some corrosive chemical.
The closer I got to the Biotech lab the worse the people running by looked.

The heat of the day was making everthing confusing I heard sweet music in the distance. I literally couldn´t decide if it was my imagination or simply the heat of the day playing tricks. Why was I risking my life to save the people there, by the looks of things there would be noone to save somekind of chemical fire would mean certain death!

As I approached the biotech lab the burnt people walking down the hill weren´t screaming perhaps because their lungs were corroded. They weren´t running either they were hobbling. A few of them turned and looked at me with a funny expression. I would have also looked that way at me why was I heading toward a potentially contaminated site. I was at the entrance when a burn victim came out of the main door. I asked him if they needed help, he looked at me with what looked to be blame in his eyes. I shouted at him-"I had nothing to do with this sir if you want to blame someone go and find the safety official!" The man hobbled off making a slurrping sound with his mouth.

I opened the main door and entered, there were some strange smells but no evidence of a fire! I looked around, the first area was an improvised medical station with glass and material flung eveywhere. Beside some of the stretchers there was a doctor and two nurses face down, they were bleeding from somewhere but I didn´t have the courage to turn them over.

I walked over to the chemical mixing tables, I should have just ran out of there. A very sharp scent went up my nose as if with a life of it´s own. It burnt the insides of my nose and all down my respiration tracts. I panicked and ran outside opening the door and screaming. Though there was no scream! Nothing came out no noise! I tried to talk to myself aloud like I do when I feel nervous, nothing! So I prayed it wasn´t the same substance that had burnt all those people so badly.

The pain subsided quite rapidly and a deep calm took my body and mind, a heavy dullness that reassured me whatever was happening it couldn´t be so bad. I felt my skin it was no longer sweating. I felt strange allover for a few minutes, my heartbeat was getting louder and slower until it stopped altogether. I was still alive and felt strong. For the next few days I went after local folks in town who didn´t manage to evacuate in time. I ate them, some of them I ate until the bone others were already infected so I´d take a few bites and give up.

I didn´t feel very good about eating them but the hunger I felt was way beyond any fleeting sense of ethics I still had.
Life as a zombie was challenging, survivors often had that addrenaline which would keep them moving and make them think fast which made it hard to hunt. Sometimes all you´d get to eat was a stray dog or cat, and sometimes even a domesticated one. Not very appetizing but filled the gap.

Sometimes it was fun, there was a house with a generator that utilized an electric fence to keep us out. The shocks we´d get off that thing could be compared with taking metamphetimines, we could run faster, jump higher and we felt alive. That was something a few of us would do every night before going hunting. I guess the people in the house thought we were braindead, no we were getting high and draining their gasoline powered generator every night.

Sex was cumbersome being a zombie, you never knew when someone was having an orgasm because we were all constantly moaning. So this was my new life the cliche biotech zombie sleeping in cool basements by day and roaming the city and surrounding forests by night. It was about to change though.

About a week after the biotech incident, the government called in the army. Some of us made it into hiding places and concealed basements that the surviving human population had used to hide from us. Sometimes we were so hungry we´d pull brazen tricks luring a few soldiers into a trap confusing and attacking them before they could let a shot off.  It was great one night for there was a heavy mist and the soldiers were sent in to hunt us down because they had a deadline. Little did they know that we could see perfectly, senses that relied on feeding were often enhanced and other sensed diminished. They lost a few men that night. Admittedly some of us lost a few limbs.

Alot of us were culled off the following night however when the army found a hive of us in a large underground store house. WE could hear the cacophony from a few streets down. They extinguished hundreds of us. So the next night those of us who could still pass as human looking, took off the uniforms from the soldiers we´d decieved. Spent a few hours but managed to put on the uniforms, pick up their guns and imitate a good march which got us into the army compound on the edge of the city. After lights out it was easy pickings, chaos and terror ensured a high bite rate, very few men left the camp without getting infected.

Were we smart zombies you ask yourselves? Aren´t zombie´s supposed to be retarded? In times of threat when we needed to survive or hunt our human brains would sometimes kick in, and we would make use of them more than the average human would as he has access to it all the time. Soon after it kicked in, our perception and thinking would dull down to nothing again which was like taking a warm bath in our favourite flavoured blood.

Nothing would prepare us for the next step, as we wlaked out of the compound in the very early morning a bright light shone in our faces, it must have just been daybreak because we were usually underground by sunup. How wrong I was yet again. The government had taken definitive action and nuked the small town. The firey draught consumed us all. "What a way to go!" My zombie brain exclaimed. I came very close to the human notion of disappointment.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário